Sunday, January 1, 2012

My 15 yr old son tells me that the dmv requires that he take 6 hours behind the wheel training?

That training appears to cost around $200. I can't afford to pay $200. Is this training necessary and if so, where can I get it cheaper or for free. The local schools have all cut it from their budget.|||Unfortunately that is the law to get a license that young. Check to see if he still has to do it if he waits until he is 17 or 18 to get his license. When I got my license in NJ in 1982 behind the wheel training had not been in the high school since the 1970s due to budget cuts. The 6 hours behind the wheel was only required to get your permit at 16 1/2, got your permit, did behind the wheel %26amp; then could get license on 17th birthday, but if you waited until you were 17 to get your permit, it was not required. The classroom hours were also required (I'm not sure if the class was required if you got your permit after 18). I waited until my 17th birthday to get my permit. My parents paid a driving school to teach me anyway (they also took me to get my license) and it was probably $200 at that time so what you are paying now is a bargain. Start saving your pennies, if you can save $5 a week, it adds up, plus I would have your son start saving too so he can pay for part of it. It will make him appreciate the priviledge it is to have his license.|||Yes, it is necessary and it's the law, passed only a couple of years ago, at least as far as I know. I just waited until I turned 18, it's cheaper, and it's almost hastle free, but your son may not like that idea.





And $200 is on the cheaper side of how much they can charge, some of my friends paied $300-400 for training.





Anyway, just research everything on California's DMV website. (google the words California DMV)





I hope this helps you.|||He will not be able to get


a license with out a certificate


from Drivers Ed., and taking


a drivers course. He can take


Drivers Ed on line. You might


want to check the GDL law also.


A fee of $200. is a very little


amount to pay, to know that your


son has been trained properly.


He's still young. Put away $25.


a month, until he can get his


license. It is very hard for any one


to get a good job, without first


having reliable transportation.|||It is a required cost. You will have to pay or else he can't get his license.|||Your son is correct, and no there isn't any way around it. The schools used to cover this, but like you said, budget cuts have been made across the country, and the schools cannot afford this anymore. You'll need to collect the cash, maybe your son could get a part time job to help earn the money. Good luck.|||How else would you expect him to learn to drive properly? A trained driver is far less likely to be in a serious accident in the first year, so it is a small investment in your son's safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment